Pages

Friday, May 22, 2009

Cali Wildflowers (4)

Mariposa Lilly

I saw these lillies clinging to the side of a rocky hillside. I missed the first one we passed, just a white flash. But I was looking more closely for the second bunch. Unfortunately, the camera (you know it's never the operator) was acting up so I didn't get a clear shot of the beautiful red and gold decoration in the center.

Petals are typically white but vary to smoky-blue with a flush of pink. Each petal has a black spot positioned above the nectary which may well serve as a nectar guide for potential pollinators.

Common in open gravelly areas with chaparral and montane coniferous forests

2 comments:

Jacob said...

Sure blame the camera! For what? This is gorgeous! It's hard to imagine that growing all by itself on a hillside. Looks like a carefully cultivated and cultured flower!

Very nice.

Oh, I've never tried frog legs...and now with your "greasy" testimony, I'll probably pass the next time they're offered.

D said...

Lovin' the wildflower posts!