Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Out with the Old

This is the original YMCA in Columbus on 11th Avenue. The red brick structure in the right of the frame is the addition. I am not sure when that was added. On February 1, they will move into a new, state-of-the-art facility. A few years ago, I was teaching a Yoga in this building. April 1 was my first class. We were on the top floor at the back of the building in the exercise room. You had to navigate a maze of stairs and twisty hallways to get there. About 15 minutes into my first class, the power went out. The emergency lighting went out shortly after. Remember, this was my first class (on April Fools Day) and I was not familiar with the maze. We formed a conga line and headed down. I am sure how long it took us to get to the first floor. I guess the joke was on me. Did I hear you say flashlight? Happy Sunday.    

4 comments:

Jacob said...

Funny story. This is so typical of buildings of a certain era. They were very nice for their time. It's interesting, though, that the addition is red brick - that just doesn't work at all.

I would guess you'll never forget that particular April Fool's day!

Rambling Round said...

What will this building be used for now? Sure hope it doesn't just sit there.

cieldequimper said...

Lol, it's a beautiful building though and I hope they can find some sort of use for it.

bfarr said...

At this point in time, it really needs a lot of tender loving care. You might notice that some windows are broken out, but I am sure it is salvagable.