Old Russell County Courthouse
In 1866, during the Federal occupation of the former Confederate States of America, the Alabama legislature created Lee County from a large chunk of Russell County and mandated the county seat 'be more centrally located'. The small town of Seale, AL won the vote. Funding for the courthouse was provided in 1871 at a total cost of $9,600. In 1935, Phenix City was selected as the new county seat and the 'branch' office in Seale was closed in 1943.