Cape St George Light
Reconstructed at the center of the island in 2008. The original lighthouse was constructed in 1833 on the western portion of the island near the split. This light was damaged, deconstructed, and rebuilt at the southernmost tip of the island in 1848. A small island was created, called Little St. George, after a channel was cut thorugh the island to allow for shipping traffic.
In 1851, a hurricane destroyed three lights: St. George, San Blas, and Dog Island. The third light on St George was completed in 1852 on the southernmost point of the island. During the Civil War the light was exstinquished and the lens was removed for safe keeping. A new lens was placed in the light in 1949, alleviating the need for lighthouse keepers. By the 1900s the beach had eroded to less than a couple hundred feet from the light and in 1992 Hurricane Andrew blew through and damaged it some more. The Coast Guard deactivated the light in 1994. In 1995, Hurricane Opal did some more damage. By this time, the lighthouse looked like the leaning tower of Pisa. After years of trying to save the light, it toppled into the sea
on October 21, 2005.
The new the light was constructed at the center of the island using brick from the original structure using the original schematic/architectural drawings. The fourth St. George Light was completed in December 2008. You can buy tickets to climb the 90 steps to the top for $5 at the visitor center next door.