Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

It's About Time

The State of Georgia has passed two laws that will become effective on 1 July 2010.

The first is Senate Bill 360 which states: “No person shall operator a motor vehicle on any public road or highway of this state while using a wireless telecommunications device to write, send, or read any text based on communication, including but not limited to a text message, instant message, electronic mail, or Internet data.

The second is House Bill 23 which “prohibits the use of wireless telecommunications devices by persons under the age of 18 years with an instruction permit or Class D license while operating a motor vehicle.”

The fine for each offense is $150 and one point on your driver license. I have to say, it's about time. People, especially inexperienced young drivers, cannot focus on driving while texting, talking, etc. Personally, I don't think the state went far enough and should have included talking while driving as well, but what do I know. I do believe it is a step in the right direction. I mean, you can't drive 15 minutes to work without being 'connected'. If nothing else, it could be a great revenue generator for states that are losing tax revenues with ever escalating budgets.

Now if Alabama would get some legislation going, we would be on our to safer, kinder roads.

4 comments:

Rambling Round said...

Hurray for Georgia! I support this law.

Jacob said...

It's very disconcerting to see people on the phone for one reason or another while driving. But there are other things, too, that are distracting. I've seen women doing their hair or eyes while driving, or a driver reaching back to "discipline" the kids.

Even worse are the speeders that drive our freeways and turnpikes at 80-90 mph. Hardly anyone drives the speed limit anymore. And I'll bet most of them consider themselves religious, law-abiding citizens!

Jacob said...

I meant to say that I love this shot, also...very appropriate.

And I understand your comment about pets. Our Golden is 11 1/2 and has bad hip dysplasia and I don't know what we'll do when she passes on...but I think we'll forgo anymore pets - at least for awhile!

cieldequimper said...

In my country there is no specific law but you have to have your hands on the wheel and are not to be distracted. I never phone and drive. I stop or call back later. I really like your shot though!