Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Kinfolks Corner

 
*****
Kinfolks Corner, Columbus, GA
This area was the meeting place for the residents of Columbus and Phenix City and the surrounding counties. Carson McCullars, internationally known author, alluded to this culturally diverse corner in her 1946 novel, "The Member of the Wedding".
*****
Below, an enlargement of the Nehi gost sign.
"The Best Cola Beverage"
*****  
***** 
Post post comments: Nehi (pronounced /ˈniːhaɪ/, like "knee high") is a flavored soft drink originated in America. It was introduced in 1924 by Chero-Cola/Union Bottle Works. The "Nehi Corporation" name was adopted in 1928 after the Nehi fruit-flavored sodas became popular. In 1955, the company changed its name to Royal Crown Company, after its RC Cola brand. It was founded by Claude Hatcher, a Georgia grocer, who began bottling ginger ale and root beer in 1905. As of the middle of April 2008, Nehi had become a brand of Dr Pepper Snapple Group. For more information, click here.
***** 

3 comments:

Hilda said...

Beautiful brick buildings and fascinating old sign. I've never heard of Nehi Cola. I wonder when it was produced and where it was distributed. I don't think it ever reached the Philippines.

I apologize for the lack of visits recently. We had a crisis in the office and I had to work to resolve it even over the weekend. Still not over, but manageable now.

cieldequimper said...

That's a McCullars book I haven't read. I'm like Hilda, I'd never head of Nehi Cola.

BAMBAM said...

If you never had a Nehi and a moon pie then you must be an RC fan.