Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Doughboy Stadium

 
*****
Doughboy Stadium, Fort Benning, GA
U.S. Army Infantrymen built this stadium as a memorial to their dead comrades of World War I. 
Labor and construction began in November 1924. The stadium was dedicated October 17, 1925.
*****
This is the main entrance of the stadium. If you ever saw the movie "We Were Soldiers Once", one scene of the movie was filmed here. I wasn't there that day, but I heard it was really hot and the movie people kept the extras sitting in the hot sun for a 'really long time'. Sam Elliott complained and got everyone moved to the chapel (from yesterday's post) for a sun break. In case you don't know, it can take a really long time to set up a movie shot. You go Sam. Always my [movie] hero.
*****

6 comments:

Jacob said...

One of the things I like about your blog is that I learn something new every day!

That is a very white stadium. -:) And yes, I'd guess it can get very, very hot!

Is it still used for military formations, parades, games, etc.?

Randy said...

Interesting piece of history.

cieldequimper said...

I may have seen the movie, if I have, I don't remember it. Beautiful stadium, so unexpected. It almost looks like a bullfight arena entrance.

LD said...

Cheers to Sam Elliott and humble gratitude to the fallen WW I soldiers. What a grisly war that was. Thanks for the photo - didn't know that place existed

bfarr said...

Jacob, thank you. I try to share more than just photos if I can. The stadium is still used for sporting events, etc.

Ciel, the movie starred Mel Gibbs with Barry Pepper, Madeline(sp) Stowe and others.

Don said...

I was there as pastor of this chapel from 1985 to 1990 as a lieutenant colonel, chaplain U.S. Army. We used to do 2 mile run every morning in the track inside that stadium