Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

NASA Explorer School

 
*****
Today is the 25th anniversary of the explosion of the Challenger Space Shuttle. 
We were living in Texas, having returned from Germany just a few months before. I had never seen a shuttle launch and I was excited and filled anticipation. I had no idea what to expect, so at first I did not realize that anything was wrong. Much like 9-11, I will always remember where I was that day.
How about you? Where were you that day? 
***** 
Phenix City has a NASA Explorer School and that's where I got this rocket shot.
*****

5 comments:

Randy said...

I was living in Arizona then. One that morning I was on my way to a dealership to have my vehicle service when I heard the news. The rest of the day was spent in disbelief.

cieldequimper said...

I don't remember. 9/11 is a totally different story.

Birdman said...

Working... it was a very strange day.

Jacob said...

Re the Challenger: We were in Fort Lauderdale. Not a fun day.

Re 9/11: I was playing golf at the Arrowhead Country Club in Davie, Florida. The ranger rode around telling all the golfers what was going on. Made golf seem very insignificant.

tapirgal said...

It's good to ask these questions and always interesting to see replies. I had to look up the date, because I don't remember. It's because it was one of those years when I didn't have TV, I worked at home, and listened to music rather than news. I got the news of the explosion very filtered, I think, so, while it was hard to believe, it was also filtered, maybe over time. I still don't remember that day, but I do remember that it shocked and saddened me, I just don't remember how I found out.

I have clear memories of 9/11 and also of the Kennedy Assassination. The latter used to be our touchstone for remembering a terribly day, but those us who remember are being replaced by younger generations who don't. I even remember when Lee Harvey Oswald was shot.

Your image looks like Stonehenge - a monumental image for a monumental memory.