Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Prayer Flags

*****
It's not too often that you see Tibetan Prayer flags in Columbus. The garden smelled of lavender. 
*****
Prayer flags are colorful panels of rectangular cloth, often found strung along mountain ridges and peaks high in the Himalayas. They are used to bless the surrounding countryside and for other purposes. Prayer flags are believed to have originated with Bön, which predated Buddhism in Tibet. In Bön, shamanistic Bonpo used primary-colored plain flags in healing ceremonies. They are unknown in other branches of Buddhism. Traditionally they are woodblock-printed with texts and images.
*****

4 comments:

Rachel said...

How colorful and fun! It looks like some interesting people live there!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I like the meaning of them very much, my niece has them hanging on her patio and I must say it always feels very calm there, might be like that without the flags too, but we'll never know!!

Jacob said...

How did you know they were Tibetan prayer flags? Do you think the residents are Buddhists?

Verrrrry interesting!

Jeff said...

I've seen them on porches in my neighborhood but I'll be honest I never knew what they were. I learned something new today. :)