Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Rosie Does Laundry ...

*****
at the Central Laundry. And while you are waiting, you can shop for affordable furniture. Rosie the Riveter represents the American women who went to work in the factories when the men went off to fight in WWII. She is commonly used to symbolize economic power for women. Click here if you want to read more from Wikipedia.
*****
I like the iconography of this sign, but does that mean that laundry is women's work?
*****
This is my contribution to this weeks signs, signs.
*****

5 comments:

Lesley said...

No, I am not entirely certain Rosie is the best image for a laundress.... but I do like her image.

Randy said...

What an awesome sign! I love it.

cieldequimper said...

We all had our Rosies during the war...

Lowell said...

A wonderful and iconic sign. I thought immediately of Rosie the Riveter...not sure this is an appropriate way to use her image but like you say, if it's pushing the economic power of women 'tis a good thing.

Re your question on Ocala: Nah, I never found out what the guy had. I tried to amble off into the distance before he decided to check out my camera! :-)

Rachel said...

I like that sign! - Maybe she is holding her arm up like that and showing her muscle in a threatening way in order to get some men to do their own laundry. Like, "Hey, get your dirty clothes off of the floor and wash them or else!" LOL!