Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Thomas Station on the Square

*****
Thomas Station and two prime ghost signs. I know that the hardware store is the first place I would go if I needed a funeral director. I like the silhouette of the lady in the coke sign. I had not seen that before. 
*****
*****
This is my contribution to this week's signs, signs. Click the link to view more.
*****
Post post comments: This image is called 'Silhouette Girl' and she was used in Coke's advertising between 1939 and 1950. Based on my presumption that the registered trademark was beneath the words Coca Cola. this sign would be dated after 1942. Prior to that, the trademark would have been on the tail of the 'C'. A blog post from the Coca Cola archivist that talks about wall signs. In addition, I am including a link to an article that discusses these types of advertising for Coke. 
*****

15 comments:

La Principessa Errante said...

I agree the coke lady is wonderful!

RedPat said...

These are both fabulous!

Lesley said...

that is funny, I remember seeing a similar combination
here

Pat said...

I love the Coke lady!

As far as the hardware store and funerals, they CAN fix anything, right? *wink*

Andy said...

I find ghost signs interesting. Keep on clicking.

Luna Miranda said...

LOL a funeral director in a hardware store? that is a first for me!

Joe said...

That coke image is so simple yet so effective.

Gerald (Hyde DP) said...

ah guggle guggle

Clytie said...

Wonderful. I love old "ghost" signs - they are always so interesting.

Taken For Granted said...

Great old Coke sign. Love old signs painted on the sides of buildings. Great find.

Lowell said...

Main Street, U.S.A. - 50 years ago!

Super photo!

Gemma Wiseman said...

Intriguing line up of signs! Not sure why, but the Coke lady reminds me of a silhouette of Marilyn Monroe!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Love the old coke sign Barb, I must say that Coke do the best adverts, then and now..and I'm not just saying that because my son works for them haha!

Rambling Round said...

So glad you are capturing these signs and old stores for posterity! I need to get out and snap some of these that are still around Selma.

Paula said...

And dentistry at the barbers. That's just great!