Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Sleeping Swan by Mark Priest

*****
I have always loved swans; beautiful and graceful in flight and drifting on the water. For my 6th grade report I selected the swan. My go to research guide was the Encyclopedia Britannica; Volume S. You can't even buy an encyclopedia today : ( There are a lot of swans in Minnesota; not so many here in Georgia.
*****
When we were stationed in Heilbronn, Germany, we went to a park where a family of swans lived. We would take bread and feed them and on one occasion, my son got too close to a new mother and she chased him back up the bank of the river. If I remember correctly, she caught is his shirt.
*****
This swan is not soaring or drifting, but she catches my attention just the same. She sits restively on the busy corner, while traffic rushes by and I sit I wish for spring.
*****
*****

3 comments:

cieldequimper said...

Pretty sculpture!

Virginia said...

I love public art and this one made me smile. They are beautiful creatures.
V

Lowell said...

I like this sculpture a lot. Real swans can be stinkers! At first I gave a quick glance at your title and saw "Something by the Mark of the Beast."

Hey, what can I say, I have a wild imagination!