Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Columbine

*****
From Wikipedia: Aquilegia is a genus of about 60-70 species of perennial plants that are found in meadows, woodlands, and at higher altitudes throughout the Northern Hemisphere, known for the spurred petals of their flowers.
*****
The genus name Aquilegia is derived from the Latin word for eagle (aquila), because the shape of the flower petals are said to resemble an eagle's claw. The common name columbine comes from the Latin for dove, because the inverted flower resembles to five doves clustered together. Personally, I think they are more swan-like.
*****

4 comments:

PerthDailyPhoto said...

The colour is so pretty Barb, yes I agree, more swan like for sure..I see those long elegant necks.

Antjas said...

Thank you for visiting SDP and your kind comments about my turtle crossing.

Your photos are lovely! No need to worry about the wedding, I can tell you have a great eye and so must the bride and groom! The sparklers look like a lot of fun.

longbeachpeninsuladailyphoto said...

I think they look a bit like synchronized swimmers. It's a gorgeous flower. I like the way you've captured the contrast between light and shadow. Have fun at the wedding!

RamblingRound said...

You are right, Barbara. Swans they are!