Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

St George [Island], Florida

*****
I am playing fast and loose with my interpretation of the national theme day theme "St. George". So please forgive me; I mean no disrepect. This shot is looking toward the mainland from the St. George Light; the tallest structure on the island. We were here for a week in 2010 searching for a location for my son's wedding. His fiance spent alot of time here growing up and she wanted a beach wedding. Because my husband and I had never been there, we went on a recon mission.
*****
We found the island to be pleasant and family friendly. It is low on the tourist radar and continues to be a place where families vacation for a week or a month. Families tend to come here for generations and pass down their beach homes. The wedding, a year later on April 30th,  was on the beach and wonderful, although planning was a bit stressful planning from 250 miles away from home. We had a great time. In fact, it was the last time my Dad was able to make the drive south to see us. It made him very happy to see his first grandson happily married.
***** 

14 comments:

LONDONLULU said...

It's a lovely post and interpretation of the theme - gorgeous place. I can see why everyone would've enjoyed it so much.

Randy said...

Beautiful shot.

longbeachpeninsuladailyphoto said...

What a beautiful spot for a wedding! I like the perspective of this shot. The bridge looks like it continues on forever.

cieldequimper said...

Gorgeous!

bitingmidge said...

and the highway and bridge could well be the tail of the dragon!

Sunshine Coast Daily Photo - Australia

LOLfromPasa said...

I love your photo! Beautiful view.

Lowell said...

Well, now you've done it. We've not been there and I remember your previous pictures but we still never got there but now we're gotta go - what a gorgeous shot!

william braquemard said...

Lovely shot

hamilton said...

It is a nice interpretation of the theme - seeing a place named for St George. and I like bitingmidge's thought about the tail of the dragon.
plus, it is an amazing view.

Kris said...

lovely setting for a wedding!

Karl Demetz said...

Beautiful photo and view!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I think it's a wonderful post for the theme Barbara and even more so with the personal story attached. I bet the wedding was marvelous and so happy that your Dad made it there, lovely memories for all.

Hilda said...

I think it's a lovely choice for the theme, Barb. A beautiful, personal anecdote, and a wonderful view, to boot!

Buck said...

Love it! St George's day is about England, and Eng;and is on an island. What could be better than a photo of an island? Wonderful realisation of the theme.