Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Thistle

 
*****
found in the Salem Methodist Cemetery
And you thought it was a weed...
*****
In the language of flowers, the thistle (like the burr) is an ancient Celtic symbol of nobility of character as well as of birth, for the wounding or provocation of a thistle yields punishment.
*****
The thistle has been the national emblem of Scotland since the reign of Alexander III (1249–1286) and was used on silver coins issued by James III in 1470. It is the symbol of the Order of the Thistle, a high chivalric order of Scotland. It is found in many Scottish symbols and as the name of several Scottish football clubs. The thistle, crowned with the Scottish crown, is the symbol of seven of the eight Scottish Police Forces (the exception being the Northern Constabulary). The thistle is also the emblem of Encyclopedia Britannica, which originated in Edinburgh, Scotland.
*****

5 comments:

Lowell said...

Everything one wanted to know about a thistle in this post! Fantastic. We have a lot of these here at certain times of the year and they are fun to photograph. I didn't know, though, they had such an illustrious history!

I think I want to whistle!

RamblingRound said...

Pretty picture of a prickly pest! :)

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Ah yes my national emblem Barbara, being a Scot originally. I have a wonderful thistle brooch that was my Mum's, love it...and your thistle, lovely capture. Happy weekend.

Virginia said...

I don't think I"ve seen it growing. Interesting and something I wouldn't want to step on!
V

Virginia said...

I've never seen this plant growing. I wouldn't want to step on this with bare feet!
V