Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

The Sputnik Bar

*****
Sitting here listening to 50's and 60's blues and rock-n-roll, puts me in the mood for monochrome photos of old bars and rainy streets. I am guessing this pool hall was born in the 50's or 60's while the US was in the middle of the space race with Russia. Sputnik being the first artificail satelite was  launched by the USSR in 1957. I did find a signature on the ghost signs which indicates they were repainted in 2001.  
***** 
*****
I really liked this sign. It reads "Welcome to the Sputnik. Now Buy a Damn Beer". It is listed in the restaurant review for Columbus, but I am pretty sure they don't serve food here. I would also guess that most of their customers arrive on foot, because you never see many cars here. However, I am never downtown after dark...it's my bedtime you know.
***** 
*****
We walked around the back on our way back to the car and found the back door open. Unformately the cool beer light was blocked, but I like the way the light is reflecting on the pool tables. As you can see, not much traffic, but it was 11:00 on a Saturday morning.
*****

2 comments:

longbeachpeninsuladailyphoto said...

I like the choice of black and white for these shots. Very nice!

RedPat said...

It's like a step back to the 50s!