Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Romalea guttata aka the Ugliest Grasshopper Ever

*****
I don't like grasshoppers because their feet are sticky, they jump up on you, and sometimes they fly. I had never seen one of these before (common name: eastern lubber grasshopper) so I had to catch a shot, but they seriously grossed me out. They were hundreds of them and they were all wiggling  around in the grass ... and oh, I just can't think about it anymore... giving myself the heebie jeebies. Anyway, this is a nymph, about  1.5 inches. Full size they are orange/gold/green and can be up to 3 inches in length. They are commonly seen in North Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Texas.
*****

5 comments:

linda eller said...

Bugs of any shape or size or color are just not for me....geezzzzz, they give me the hebbie gebbies too...lol

longbeachpeninsuladailyphoto said...

Your commentary made me laugh. Kudos for overcoming your heebie jeebies long enough to take the shot! It kind of looks like a Harley-Davidson decorated grasshopper.

Lowell said...

Ugly little critter and I'm very happy you didn't mention Florida in that list! They'd creep me out, too...what are they doing in your grass?

Hilda said...

I love its coloration, but I'd be creeped out if I saw hundreds of them too.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Haha! You made me laugh Barb..they are pretty icky, with a name like 'lubber' eeeewwww! :) :)