Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Yosemite on Fire ... Almost

*****
Ok, so this is not the Chattahoochee Valley, but it is a valley. Yosemite Valley. We went to this most beautiful place in 2009 on vacation. We stayed in Curry Village in the tent camp and about froze our butts off, but it was worth every chilly minute of it. Of course, to keep with the sqaure format that I favor these days, I cropped down my first image of the Merced River with El Capitan in the background.
*****
Western fires are reaching toward Yosemite today and the highway leading into the park has been closed. Visitors have been asked to leave. So today I dedicate my post to this most amazing place. I hope that someday you will have an opportunity to visit. 
***** 
Thank you John Muir for having the foresight to realize what a treasure Yosemite is and for fighting to save her natural beauty. And to Ansel Adams for your wonderful photography that was the inspiration for my visit. 
*****
*****
This image is from the valley floor and you can see a bit of reflected monoliths mid-frame. 
*****
*****
This is another shot of the Merced River and El Capitan. El Capitan is one of the most challenging climbs for a rock climber. We sat for about an hour one day and just watched. Agile and strong, you must be, using Yoda's phraseology.
***** 
*****
A short hike thru the valley brings you to Mirror Lake. We spent a good bit of time here with a picnic.
*****

4 comments:

Hilda said...

Your photos are all gorgeous, but a fire?? Oh no, I hope it doesn't reach Yosemite and I pray no one gets hurt.

VP said...

I really hope this wonderful place will be spared by the fire...

Lowell said...

I've only been there once and it was dead of winter but still very beautiful. Your photos are stunning.

I read about the fires today. Hopefully, they won't do much damage!

Joan Perry; Sidewalk Curator said...

What beautiful pictures. Makes me want to go back.